Djibouti became the tenth member of the Digital Cooperation Organization in May 2022.
Its participation was confirmed by Her Excellency Mariam Hamadou Ali, Minister Delegate in charge of Digital Economy and Innovation.
Djibouti has an ambitious national digitalization agenda which is overseen by the Ministry of Communication. Focused on positioning the country as a regional connectivity and data market hub, its strategy is integral to the nation’s Vision 2030 blueprint for developing a diversified and competitive economy, with digital solutions at its center.
- In 2013, the country created the Djibouti Data Center, a Tier 3 facility which serves as a critical meeting point for submarine cable systems in the region.
- In 2014, Djibouti set out its National Strategy for ICT Development as part of its Vision 2035 policy plan and adopted a ten-year ICT roadmap to improve access to digital services across the country.
- In 2017, the Women Entrepreneurs Finance Initiative (WeFi) program, a global initiative aimed to support women’s entrepreneurship, was launched in Djibouti.
- In 2018, the World Bank and the government of Djibouti co-hosted a high-level event to explore the benefits of digital development and proposed a roadmap of activity to build a resilient and inclusive digital economy.
- In 2019, the University of Djibouti launched Espace Creatif, a digital training center to promote digital skills and IT literacy.
- In 2021, the World Bank unveiled the Digital Foundations Project in Djibouti to support the emergence of the digital economy.
- In 2022, the government launched the Digital Economy and Innovation Roadmap to implement key reforms to boost productivity, drive efficiency and modernize administration.
Djibouti’s digital economy has advanced rapidly over the last few years, with several successful initiatives helping to harness its potential.
Core digital infrastructure is being developed through the Digital Foundations Project. A joint initiative with the World Bank, this is accelerating digital transformation by improving access to quality connectivity services for citizens and businesses.
Digital skills training has expanded thanks to new institutions such as Espace Creatif, the University of Djibouti’s digital training center. Housing cutting-edge equipment, the center promotes creative and technical learning, offering the next generation of talent a space to hone their skills and forge connections.
Budding entrepreneurs are also well catered for through projects such as the Women Entrepreneurs Finance Initiative. Participants receive e-commerce guidance and financing advice, enabling women to fully participate in the digital economy, thereby creating wealth and jobs across the country.
Importantly, the government has committed to creating a regulatory environment that will stimulate growth, innovation and job creation in the IT and tech sector by encouraging competition and private sector investment. Coupled with the country’s natural strengths as a transport and logistics hub, the future looks increasingly bright for Djibouti’s digital community.
The DCO Center of Excellence for Cross-Border Data Flows is a think tank focused on cross-border data flows. Through research, knowledge…
Celebrating digital advancement through innovation with the Digital Prosperity Award
Observatory for Digital
The DCO Observatory for Digital Empowerment is a recognition by the DCO member states that current cultural, societal, economic and regulatory…
STRIDE is a DCO initiative facilitating the expansion of small- and medium enterprises (SMEs) and innovation driven enterprises (IDEs) through the…
IMPACT advocates for a multilateral partnership framework that facilitates the adoption of digital solutions, promotes knowledge sharing…
The Digital Cooperation Organization Startup Guides initiative is an unparalleled resource designed to empower foreign entrepreneurs and facilitate the startup establishment process as they embark on the transformative journey of expanding their companies across the DCO Member States.